The Avaya 1608 IP Office telephone is a member of the 1600 series of business telephone that offer familiar features at a cost effective price. They are ideal for everyday users with basic communications needs.
Here is a guide to using voicemail on the Avaya 1608 IP phone.
How To Access Voicemail
- Press the MESSAGE button
- Enter your mailbox number and password (if required) and press DONE
- The visual voice menu will now be displayed. The LISTEN option is used to access your own voicemail mailbox.
- Press the SELECT soft key
- Use the arrow keys to scroll to the message you want to hear:
- Press the appropriate soft keys to control your playback actions:
How To Record a Mailbox Greeting
A standard greeting is played to a caller when they phone in but a personalised greeting can be recorded if required as follows:
- When logged into your voicemail mailbox, use the arrow keys to scroll to the GREETING option and press SELECT.
- Use the soft keys to listen to your existing greeting and to record a new one:
- LISTEN to your existing or newly recorded greeting
- RECORD a new greeting (a new greeting must be at least 3 seconds long, otherwise the system will discard it)
- SUBMIT to save your new greeting to your mailbox
- DELETE your existing greeting
How To Check Your Messages
When a message has been left in your voicemail box, the message lamp on your phone will be lit up and will remain until all new messages have been played.
To listen to your messages…
- Access your mailbox as above
- Use the arrow keys to scroll to the LISTEN option and press SELECT
- Use the arrow keys to scroll to the choice of messages that you want to listen to:
- Use the soft keys to control your playback action:
How To Send A Message Via Voicemail
You can use the voicemail system to record and send a message to another users’ mailbox as follows…
- Logon into voicemail as described above
- Use the arrow keys to scroll to the MESSAGE option and press SELECT
- Enter the extension number of the user you want to send a message to
- Press the MESSAGE soft key
- Press RECORD to start recording a message
- Press STOP to stop recording your message
- Use the following soft keys to perform your required action…
- LISTEN to listen to your message
- SUBMIT to send your message
- MORE to switch between different sets of soft keys
- OTHERS to add more extension numbers to your distribution list
- RECORD to re-record the message
How To Send a Call To Voicemail
If you are busy with something and want to send an incoming call directly to your voicemail, you can do so as follows…
- If the incoming call is not the call shown on your display, use the arrow keys to scroll to it
- Press the double-arrow “>>” soft key
- Press the TO VM soft key to redirect the call to your mailbox
How To Transfer A Call To Another Mailbox
If you answer a call that was intended for another user, you can transfer it directly to their mailbox as follows…
- With the caller still connected, press the MESSAGE button
- Dial the extension number of the user or group that you want to transfer the call to (their name will be displayed)
- Press SELECT to transfer the call to your chosen user or group’s mailbox.
- Press EXIT to exit the transfer menu.
How To Set Up Voicemail Email Alerts
In the voicemail system, there is a feature that sends an email when a new message is left in your voicemail mailbox. The email can either be a simple alert or can include the message as an attachment.
If your system is enabled with this feature and your email has been added to your voicemail by your system administrator, it can be switched on by doing the following…
- Press the MESSAGES button and enter your passcode if required
- Use the arrow keys to scroll to the EMAIL option and press SELECT
- Your current email status will be displayed but can be changed by selecting from the following soft keys:
- EMAIL MODE OFF to request no emails
- EMAIL MODE COPY to request an email with the voicemail as an attachment
- EMAIL MODE FWD to request an email with the voicemail message as an attachment and for the message to be deleted from the voicemail mailbox
- EMAIL MODE ALERT to request an email alerting that there is a new voicemail message but without the message attached
- Press SELECT to save your chosen option or press EXIT to exit without changing the setting
How To Switch Voicemail On and Off
You can control whether your voicemail system answers your unanswered calls or not by switching it on and off as follows…
- Log into your voicemail mailbox as described above
- Use the arrow keys to scroll to the VOICEMAIL option
- Press SELECT
- Press the ON or OFF soft key to select your preferred status.
How To Change Your Voicemail Password
For security purposes, it is recommended that your voicemail password is changed on a regular basis.
- Log into your voicemail mailbox as advised above
- Use the arrow keys to scroll to the PASSWORD option
- Press SELECT
- Enter your current password and then press DONE
- Enter a new password (this must be at least 4 digits long – a series of numbers of repeated use of the same number is not allowed)
- Press DONE to save the change
If you are interested in an Avaya Telephone System for your business, Direct Voice and Data are an expert Avaya partner and can design and install a system tailored to your individual business needs. For more information or to request a free consultation, call 0800 84 999 84 or visit our Website.